Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: TBR Benchwarmers


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is books that have been on your to-be-read shelf since before you started blogging. I’ve been blogging for 3 years, and I’m fairly good at managing my TBR, so I don’t have any books from before I started blogging. But, these three books have been on my shelf for over a year. There’s no reason why. I just haven’t gotten to them yet.


TBR Benchwarmers






All The Bright Places – Jennifer Niven


Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him. 
Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.  
When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink. 





More Happy Than Not – Adam Silvera


The Leteo Institute's revolutionary memory-relief procedure seems too good to be true to Aaron Soto—miracle cure-alls don't tend to pop up in the Bronx projects. But Aaron can't forget how he's grown up poor or how his friends aren't always there for him. Like after his father committed suicide in their one-bedroom apartment. Aaron has the support of his patient girlfriend, if not necessarily his distant brother and overworked mother, but it's not enough. 
Then Thomas shows up. He has a sweet movie-watching setup on his roof, and he doesn't mind Aaron's obsession with a popular fantasy series. There are nicknames, inside jokes. Most importantly, Thomas doesn't mind talking about Aaron's past. But Aaron's newfound happiness isn't welcome on his block. Since he can't stay away from Thomas or suddenly stop being gay, Aaron must turn to Leteo to straighten himself out, even if it means forgetting who he is.  





Astray – Amy Christine Parker


Lyla is caught between two worlds. The isolated Community that she grew up in and the outside world that she’s navigating for the very first time. The outsiders call the Community a cult, but Pioneer miraculously survived a shooting that should have killed him. Are the faithful members right to stay true to his message? Is this just a test of faith? One thing is for sure: the Community will do anything to bring Lyla back to the fold. Trapped in a spider’s web of deception, will Lyla detect the sticky threads tightening around her before it’s too late? She’ll have to unravel the mystery of what Pioneer and the Community are truly up to if she wants to survive.




What book has been sitting on your TBR shelf the longest?






18 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed All the Bright Places. Totally made me cry. I have had More Happy Than Not on my TBR too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All The Bright Places probably should have been on my list, too! It's been on my TBR pile for forever. I hope you enjoy it when you read it! :)
    My #Shame TTT
    Happy Reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's just too many books! That's the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only three... I am in such awe of you. I have All the Bright Places on my TBR list and I actually have an electronic copy as well... No idea why I haven't read it yet. Here's my TTT: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/ten-books-that-have-been-on-your-shelf.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have More Happy Than Not on my TBR too. All the Bright Places is really good.

    I have over a thousand books on my Goodreads TBR. So yeah, many from pre-blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also STILL haven't read All The Bright Places! I haven't owned the book for very long, but I have been saying that I wanted to read it for a VERY LONG time now. Hopefully we both get to it soon. Good Luck! :D My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read All the Bright Places. SOON! I highly suggest More Happy Than Not though. It's seriously one of my favorite books.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to read All the Bright Places! It sounds so good and I keep seeing amazing reviews for it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have several that have been waiting on my shelf for a few years. These include a graphic adaptation of The Hobbit and a few of Akashic's noir anthologies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Bright Places' sounds (and looks!) like a really good read but I've not read it or picked up a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You stay on top of your TBR so well that you could only come up with 3 books!? How do you do it! I am so behind on my TBR. Perhaps I shouldn't be adding so many books to it, given how slow I read. Sigh.

    I hope you get to More Happy Than Not soon! It's a big hit with the teens. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. All The Bright Places is totally on my TBR, but I don't have a copy yet, which means it's wayyyyy down there (I've got a couple hundred I DO have copies of first)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard some good things about All The Bright Places. Hope you get to that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My list is pretty long but I want to put All The Bright Places on it now :-)
    See my list here: https://runwright.net/2016/08/23/11364/

    ReplyDelete
  15. All the Bright Places is one that everyone says I should read, but I don't know if I ever will. I hope you enjoy it if you end up actually picking it up!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm horrible at managing my TBR. (I have almost 400 books that I own and haven't read yet and that does not include ebooks). I have a problem.
    Anyway, I haven't read any of these yet, but I want too! They all sound interesting! Maybe I'll get to them someday...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I'm impressed how well you do with your TBR. I don't know that I'll ever catch up haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You gotta read All the Bright Places! I personally liked that book a whole lot :D I have just finished a book by Amy Christine Parker actually, and I managed to quite like it even though it wasn't this one in particular. I guess my benchwarmer would have to be Frakenstein by Mary Shelley. I really want to read it, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    ReplyDelete