Saturday, December 16, 2017

The “More Creepiness” Book Haul


Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga’s Reviews. I get to show off all the books I’ve gotten recently.

Here are some of the creepy-sounding books I’ll be reading in 2018.





The “More Creepiness” Book Haul









The Possessions – Sara Flannery Murphy

In an unnamed city, Eurydice works for the Elysian Society, a private service that allows grieving clients to reconnect with lost loved ones. She and her fellow workers, known as “bodies,” wear the discarded belongings of the dead and swallow pills called lotuses to summon their spirits—numbing their own minds and losing themselves in the process. Edie has been a body at the Elysian Society for five years, an unusual record. Her success is the result of careful detachment: she seeks refuge in the lotuses’ anesthetic effects and distances herself from making personal connections with her clients. 
But when Edie channels Sylvia, the dead wife of recent widower Patrick Braddock, she becomes obsessed with the glamorous couple. Despite the murky circumstances surrounding Sylvia’s drowning, Edie breaks her own rules and pursues Patrick, moving deeper into his life and summoning Sylvia outside the Elysian Society’s walls. 
After years of hiding beneath the lotuses’ dulling effect, Edie discovers that the lines between her own desires and those of Sylvia have begun to blur, and takes increasing risks to keep Patrick within her grasp. Suddenly, she finds her quiet life unraveling as she grapples not only with Sylvia’s growing influence and the questions surrounding her death, but with her own long-buried secrets.








The Cresswell Plot – Eliza Wass

Castella Cresswell and her five siblings—Hannan, Caspar, Mortimer, Delvive, and Jerusalem—know what it’s like to be different. For years, their world has been confined to their ramshackle family home deep in the woods of upstate New York. They abide by the strict rule of God, whose messages come directly from their father. 
Slowly, Castley and her siblings start to test the boundaries of the laws that bind them. But, at school, they’re still the freaks they’ve always been to the outside world. Marked by their plain clothing. Unexplained bruising. Utter isolation from their classmates. That is, until Castley is forced to partner with the totally irritating, totally normal George Gray, who offers her a glimpse of a life filled with freedom and choice. 
Castley’s world rapidly expands beyond the woods she knows so well and the beliefs she once thought were the only truths. There is a future waiting for her if she can escape her father’s grasp, but Castley refuses to leave her siblings behind. Just as she begins to form a plan, her father makes a chilling announcement: the Cresswells will soon return to their home in heaven. With time running out on all of their lives, Castley must expose the depth of her father’s lies. The forest has buried the truth in darkness for far too long. Castley might be their last hope for salvation.









This Monstrous Thing – Mackenzi Lee

In 1818 Geneva, men built with clockwork parts live hidden away from society, cared for only by illegal mechanics called Shadow Boys. Two years ago, Shadow Boy Alasdair Finch’s life shattered to bits. 
His brother, Oliver—dead. 
His sweetheart, Mary—gone. 
His chance to break free of Geneva—lost. 
Heart-broken and desperate, Alasdair does the unthinkable: He brings Oliver back from the dead. 
But putting back together a broken life is more difficult than mending bones and adding clockwork pieces. Oliver returns more monster than man, and Alasdair’s horror further damages the already troubled relationship. 
Then comes the publication of Frankenstein and the city intensifies its search for Shadow Boys, aiming to discover the real life doctor and his monster. Alasdair finds refuge with his idol, the brilliant Dr. Geisler, who may offer him a way to escape the dangerous present and his guilt-ridden past, but at a horrible price only Oliver can pay.









Stranded – Bracken MacLeod

Badly battered by an apocalyptic storm, the crew of the Arctic Promise find themselves in increasingly dire circumstances as they sail blindly into unfamiliar waters and an ominously thickening fog. Without functioning navigation or communication equipment, they are lost and completely alone. One by one, the men fall prey to a mysterious illness. Deckhand Noah Cabot is the only person unaffected by the strange force plaguing the ship and her crew, which does little to ease their growing distrust of him. 
Dismissing Noah's warnings of worsening conditions, the captain of the ship presses on until the sea freezes into ice and they can go no farther. When the men are ordered overboard in an attempt to break the ship free by hand, the fog clears, revealing a faint shape in the distance that may or may not be their destination. Noah leads the last of the able-bodied crew on a journey across the ice and into an uncertain future where they must fight for their lives against the elements, the ghosts of the past and, ultimately, themselves.









A Head Full of Ghosts – Paul Tremblay

The lives of the Barretts, a normal suburban New England family, are torn apart when fourteen-year-old Marjorie begins to display signs of acute schizophrenia. 
To her parents' despair, the doctors are unable to stop Marjorie's descent into madness. As their stable home devolves into a house of horrors, they reluctantly turn to a local Catholic priest for help. Father Wanderly suggests an exorcism; he believes the vulnerable teenager is the victim of demonic possession. He also contacts a production company that is eager to document the Barretts' plight. With John, Marjorie's father, out of work for more than a year and the medical bills looming, the family agrees to be filmed, and soon find themselves the unwitting stars of The Possession, a hit reality television show. When events in the Barrett household explode in tragedy, the show and the shocking incidents it captures become the stuff of urban legend.







Have you read any of these? What did you think?









19 comments:

  1. The Cresswell Plot looks interesting but I haven't read any of these. Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Possessions was really good, very different. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cresswell Plot and This Monstrous Thing have been on my wishlist for a very long time. Maybe I'll also read them on 2018.

    I hope you enjoy all of yours books.

    Happy readings! ;)
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these look fascinating. Hope you enjoy them!

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all look interesting. You’re gonna have great reading time I can see. Happy reading and have a wonderful weekend. 😁❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh these books do look creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! All of these books look creepy and awesome! I hope you enjoy these books!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of any of these.

    The Possessions is the most interesting to me.

    The book that's kind of about Frankenstein has a female lead named Mary - as in Mary Shelley. LOL.

    The book about the ship has a m.c. named Noah. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good creepy book! I haven't read any of these but I have A Head Full of Ghosts on my kindle waiting for me. Enjoy all of these, AJ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh these sound freaky but I especially love the sound of Stranded.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Possessions definitely sounds creepy! I own This Monstrous Thing but haven't read it yet (I won't say how long it's been on my shelves lol) I hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any. But I do like the sound of The Possessions. Sounds like you have lots of creepy times ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like you're a month late :D not a very Christmassy haul, lol :D but they look great! Enjoy and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Cresswell Plot sounds super interesting. I'm looking forward to your review, because I want to find out if it's good or not. :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 2018 is going to have some good horror for me and I'm determined to read some of the horror I never got to this year. I'm already working on my challenges for next year in my head but I need to get them organised into blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, The Cresswell Plot resonates with me! Definitely creepy and a page turner, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing...and enjoy your week.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just finished Mackenzi Lee's "A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue" so I would love to know about her newest novel. I wasn't even aware of it so I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read any but The Cresswell Plot sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee this year and I absolutely loved it, so I have This Monstrous Thing by her on my kindle now. I actually really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete